Craving for your next caffeine fix? CBD coffee is one of the latest trends in both the food and health industry. It lives up to the hype, too – coffee is delicious and gives you that extra boost, but it’s enhanced for the better with CBD. You can buy ready-made CBD coffee in physical or online stores, but it’s much more fun to make your own.
Worry not; it’s easier than you might think. You don’t need fancy coffee makers or latte art, though, of course, you can if you want to. In this quick read, you can make CBD coffee with the simplest ingredients from the comforts of your home. Read on for possibly the most fantastic addition to your morning routine!
What’s CBD Coffee?
The name pretty much reveals all you need to know about CBD coffee: it is infused with a certain amount of CBD. Though cannabis has been around for a very long time, it is only recently that it became more popularized—specifically, CBD as an active cannabinoid found in cannabis plants.
This is all thanks to the recent changes in U.S. federal laws. Hemp plants, a specific species of cannabis, are now federally legal in the United States. This came after the government decided that industrial hemp is generally safe for consumption. As long as it contains no more than 0.3% THC, it should be non-intoxicating.
Hemp’s most active cannabinoid is cannabidiol or CBD. Due to hemp being legalized, CBD products also rose in the market. This includes CBD coffee, one of the newest trends in a line of seemingly never-ending lists of new things to try out.
Cannabis coffee shops were first popular in Europe and have long since traveled all over the world. Now, there are restaurants and wholefoods dedicated to selling CBD coffee and kinds of hemp oil goodies. It is widely available in the country and in states that have also allowed hemp production and consumption.
So what does drinkable CBD coffee look like? Sometimes, it comes in the form of pre-infused coffee granules that are used to make instant coffee. Other times, you can make it by yourself by simply adding CBD oil to your brewed coffee, latte, or espresso shot. You can call it CBD coffee as long as it has a potent cannabinoid in it before you drink it.
How Does Caffeine Affect CBD?
Being relatively new to the mainstream market, many consumers have doubts and questions about how CBD works. That’s perfectly understandable. After all, you want to know what you put inside your body to be safe.
But how does CBD interact with CBD, and should you be more critical before diving into the trend? As a general fact, caffeine is a stimulant that offers health benefits. This includes a boost in energy, adrenaline, and providing the body with tons of antioxidants. However, too much of it can be bad for you.
Caffeine overload could result in heart palpitations, lightheadedness, and an increase in cortisol production. Some people nickname this phenomenon the “coffee jitters.” Some say it makes them feel shaky and nervous, so they avoid anything caffeinated at all costs.
Though it is yet to be scientifically proven, CBD coffee could help with this. By nature, CBD is used to soothe anxiety, calm erratic mood swings, and help people relax better and longer. It could help balance the effects of caffeine. Many avid drinkers have attested to feeling more relaxed rather than jittery than when they simply drink coffee without CBD.
Another intriguing effect of adding CBD to your coffee is increased focus. CBD users have been taking this hemp oil extract for many years to improve mental stability and retain focus. Some say that they focus better when CBD helps them relax and calms their frayed nerves.
However, these statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The government agency still warns the public to take extra precautions when buying unregulated supplements such as CBD. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any medical condition. Instead, think of them as great additions to your health routine.
Read More: TASTY CBD-INFUSED DRINKS RECIPE
How to Make CBD Coffee
When making a CBD coffee, you will need only two essential ingredients: CBD oil and coffee. That is if you’re making it yourself instead of buying a pre-made one. While it seems simple, there is another ingredient that you will need to make sure your CBD coffee will be useful.
CBD oil is hydrophobic, meaning it will not mix with water, much like any other oil type. You can opt to buy CBD in powder form, but they are harder to come by and sometimes more expensive. If you simply drop in the oil into your drink, you will see that it floats right to the top. It will even stick mostly to your mug rather than mix with the liquid.
For this reason, if you are using CBD oil, it is best to add in some kind of fat that the oil can bond with. For coffee, your best option for a fatty substance is adding in the milk. It can be any milk you like, and you can add as little or as much as you want.
There are several recipes you can follow. It is sure to tickle your tastebuds and leave you reaching for another cup.
Cold-brew is a strong coffee concentrate. You can experiment with this recipe, but the ingredients are pretty essential will simply need:
- 8 ounces of whole light roast coffee beans, or you can use ground coffee if you prefer
- 8 cups of lukewarm water
- 2–3 teaspoons of CBD oil
- ½ cup of hemp seeds if you like your CBD coffee to be full-spectrum
- Sweetener is optional, but you can add in sugar or honey
- Use a coffee grinder to grind the coffee. If you are using whole coffee beans, grind until the consistency is similar to powder
- Combine the coffee and hemp seeds with water into a large jar or pitcher
- Mix in the CBD oil at this point to allow it to mix with the coffee while it steeps overnight
- Gently stir to incorporate it into the water, clockwise and counterclockwise to be thorough
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight; the longer it is steeped, the stronger the mixture will be
- Strain the coffee via cheesecloth or paper towel, DO NOT squeeze the coffee grounds as it will leave a bitter taste in the mixture; simply let the liquid drip
- Pour the strained CBD coffee into a resealable container and serve chilled
Whether Halloween is around the corner or months off, pumpkin spice latte is always popular with the crowd. This drink feels like a warm hug on a chilly night by the fireplace. No wonder it makes it into this list.
Everybody can’t get enough of it! Now, you can enjoy yours with a little extra CBD kick.
- 2 tablespoons of pumpkin puree
- 2 cups of milk, any kind, will do, so choose your favorite
- ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- A pinch of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg to add in that spice
- ½ cup of coffee granules or a ready-to-drink brew works just as well
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Brown sugar, to taste
- CBD oil in cinnamon flavor
- Combine the milk, pumpkin puree, and sugar in a saucepan
- Cook over low to medium heat, but don’t let it boil; stir methodically to avoid burning
- Turn off heat and whisk in the pumpkin pie spices, vanilla, and CBD oil, stir gently until mixed well
- Whisk in the coffee until the mixture becomes frothy
- Heat for a few more minutes until it’s hot, then serve in your favorite mug
- Optional: Add whipped cream and crushed almonds or walnuts on top
CBD espresso is nearly cold brew but in hot form. It can also be quite strong, but you can adjust the ingredients and add sweeteners to your liking. You will need:
- Espresso or coffee, already brewed or ready-to-drink
- 1 tbsp. Of unsweetened drinking chocolate
- ½ tsp. sugar or any sweetener you like honey or Stevia
- ¼ – ½ cup creamer
- A preferred dose of CBD oil tincture
- Make a double shot of espresso or brew some strong coffee, then set aside.
- Mix the drinking chocolate and sweetener in a mug
- Add in CBD tincture directly onto the drinking chocolate.
- Pour the espresso onto drinking chocolate and mix, and you can use a milk frother if you have it
- Heat creamer until just below boiling
- Pour the hot creamer into the CBD coffee mix
- Stir well and enjoy!
If you want to indulge your sweet tooth, this recipe is perfect. A chocolatey treat is always a good idea. It’s also easy to make and undoubtedly delicious! To treat yourself to this indulgence, simple prepare:
- 2 cups of coffee, already brewed or ready-to-drink
- 1 cup of milk, any kind is up to your preference
- ¼ cup of chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoons of sugar or sweetener
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- CBD oil lavender flavor
- Pour the ready-brew coffee into a saucepan over medium to low heat
- Add in all the other ingredients, the milk, sugar, and vanilla extract
- Stir in the chocolate syrup last, keep mixing until latte is well-heated, serve hot and enjoy your hug in a cup!
- Optional: Add in marshmallows, sprinkles, crushed cookies, or whatever you fancy for toppings
Is CBD Coffee Good for You?
With its many health benefits, it’s no wonder CBD is at the forefront of the wellness movement nowadays. Mixed with coffee, can it still bring its myriad of surprises to the table? The answer, according to many reviews of avid CBD coffee drinkers, is yes.
The caffeine in coffee does not cancel out anything in CBD and vice versa. The two work quite well together, which is probably why it’s become so popular in recent years. If you want to take your coffee with a little upgrade, or if you’re going to take your CBD more interestingly, why not hop in on this bandwagon?
CBD coffee benefits could include a good energy boost at any time of the day, relief from chronic pains, soothe anxiety, improve mental focus, and even help you relax without being drowsy at all. Just be sure only to purchase your CBD from reputable brands to ensure safety and potency.
Read More: HOW TO FIND THE BEST CBD PRODUCT
Whether you’re new to the CBD world or a connoisseur, CBD coffee is something new that could be up your alley. If you find bland old pills, tinctures, and topicals tiresome, why not indulge in these delicious recipes? They don’t call this drink flower power coffee for nothing.
CBD-Infused Coffee FAQs
What is CBD coffee used for?
People mainly drink coffee first thing in the morning for that extra boost. CBD coffee is perfect for this, too, as you can start the day right with a delicious cup of Joe and benefit from this hemp plant extract. Indeed, you can drink it not just in the morning but at any time of the day.
How to infuse coffee with CBD?
Pre-infused coffee granules that make instant coffee are available in dispensaries, wellness stores, or places that sell CBD products. If you want something a little fancy, there are also CBD coffee shops out there. But really, just add in a few drops of CBD into your coffee, and you‘re good to go.
Can I put CBD in my coffee?
Yes, add in a few drops of your favorite CBD oil into your cup of coffee for that extra kick. However, mix your oil with a fatty substance like milk to mix well with the liquid. CBD oil alone is hydrophobic and will rise to the top if added in significant amounts.
How many drops of CBD are in coffee?
You can add in as much as you’d like. If you are using oil, keep the process mentioned earlier to make sure your CBD coffee will be useful. You can also try flavored CBD oil tinctures and see if it goes well with your favorite cup of coffee.